The National Weather Service and the Alabama Emergency Management Agency have declared the week of Sunday, November 11th - Friday, November 16th, Winter Weather Awareness Week. Your GECEMA wants to encourage the citizens of Etowah County to prepare now for winter weather hazards. Follow our Winter Weather Awareness Week campaign on Facebook and Twitter @GECEMA. REMEMBER, your safety is up to YOU. Prepare NOW!
- Assemble emergency supply kits for your home and automobile.
- Have a way to receive emergency warnings.
- Winterize your vehicle.
- Avoid driving during winter weather events, if at all possible.
- Be sure that your house is well insulated.
- Insulate pipes and faucets to prevent them from freezing and bursting. Let faucets drip a little.
- Cut away tree branches that have the possibility of falling on your house due to ice
- Have an emergency heat source.
- If you use an electric space heater, make sure it turns off when tipped over, has a thermostat control, and at least three feet of clearance from any combustibles.
- PRACTICE FIRE SAFETY!
- Make sure pets have plenty of food, water, and proper shelter.
- Know the difference between the four types of winter precipitation.
- Be familiar with the winter weather criteria according to the NWS in Birmingham
Visit these links for more Winter Weather Awareness tips:
For more information, contact the EMA at 256-549-4575