Warm temperatures with high humidity values will lead to heat indices approaching 100-107 degrees for all of Etowah County, each afternoon through Friday.
The Heat Index is a measure of how hot it really feels when relative humidity is factored in with the actual air temperature.
Your Gadsden-Etowah County EMA wants to take this time to remind all citizens of the importance of heat safety. Heat is one of the leading weather-related killers in the United States, and heat related illnesses can occur within a short period of exposure.
Some populations are more susceptible to heat related illnesses: young children and infants, older adults, people with chronic medical conditions, pregnant women, and those who work outdoors.
Remember these tips:
- It is NEVER safe to leave a toddler, disabled person, senior, or pet locked in a car. LOOK before you LOCK!
- Heat Exhaustion = Dizzy or faint, excessive sweating, clammy/cold skin, nausea or vomiting, weak/rapid pulse, muscle cramps
- Heat Stroke = Throbbing headache/ confusion, NO sweating, body temperature above 103 degrees, red/hot/dry skin, nausea or vomiting, rapid/strong pulse, may lose consciousness.
- When outdoors – slow down, take frequent breaks in the shade, dress appropriately, and minimize your exposure to the sun
- Eat light and drink plenty of water (not very cold).
- Provide adequate shelter and water for pets.
Gadsden Public Library Cooling Centers (June 13 – June 17)
- Main Branch
- 254 South College Street
- Mon, Wed, Fri : 9am-5pm
- Tues, Thurs: 9am-7pm
- East Gadsden Branch
- 809 East Broad Street
- Mon-Fri: 9am-5pm
- Genealogy Branch/Alabama City
- 2700 West Meighan Blvd.
- Mon-Fri: 9am-5pm
The Salvation Army(June 13 – June 17)
- 114 North 11th St
- Cooling Center: 8:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
- *Shelter hours as normal
The Freedom Center(June 13 – June 17)
- 1601 W Meighan Blvd
- Cooling Center: Mon, Wed, Fri : 10 a.m. - 4 p.m.
Learn more about how to protect yourself and your loved ones at weather.gov/heat
For more information, follow us on our social media pages @gecema